What is An Independent Baptist Church
These are some helpful things in the teaching of what an Independent Baptist Church is
"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch…As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." (Acts 13:1-2)
Independent- What the Word Means-
- Autonomous (self-governing)
- Self- supporting
Statements in Regards to an Independent Baptist Church
- There is no convention or organization that is over the Church.
- Southern, American, and some other Baptist Churches have a convention, organization, or fellowship that is over them, that they answer to.
- Our Shepherd is the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the head of the Church
Christ is the head of the church: Ephesians 5:23; he is the head of the body, the church: Colossians 1:18
We answer to no group or organization, only to the Lord Jesus Christ.
The tithe and offerings are given to the Local Church.
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings...Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:8-10)
- There is no convention, committee, or group that we send the Tithes and offerings to. It is given to the Local Church, and that Church deals with it as the Lord leads. Many conventions, organizations, and fellowships control a percentage of the tithes and offerings.
Missionaries that are sent out are sent out of the Church.
"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch….As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." (Acts 13:1-2)
- The Local Church at Antioch was where the Holy Spirit called Barnabas and the Apostle Paul. The Missionaries do not come out of an organization, convention, or group.
- Support that is given to Missionaries is sent out of the Church to the Missionary.
"But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again;" (Philippians 4:10)
- The Apostle Paul was rejoicing how the Church at Philippi had taken care of him. They were sending him financial help and other help.
- There is no convention, group, or organization that takes the Church's Missionary funds and divides it up as they see fit.
"Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia; How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality." (2 Corinthians 8:1-2) "And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied:" (2 Corinthians 11:9)
- The Apostle Paul was speaking of local Churches that sent him financial help and other help. Many conventions, organizations, and fellowships decide on who your going to support.
Simply put, an independent church is self-governing. We are an independent Baptist Church because of our conviction about the local church found in the Scriptures.